This is one of those posts that may get some hate but oh well! I love being transparent with you guys!
1. I went off it last year for 6 months when J was deployed and felt amazing! I didn’t feel fatigued all the time. I felt energetic and light. Right now I feel like my body is heavy all the time
2. Did you know birth control can cause autoimmune disorders? I did my nursing research and it’s know on reputable sites that birth control can cause many autoimmune disorders! I tested positive for lupus antibodies recently and my dr is having a “wait and see approach if it gets worse” but I’m just not about that! I like to fix things! So, we will see if this helps!
3. Weight fluctuations. I’m not even going to lie, when I got off birth control for a while I was down to 125lbs and it was easily coming off. Now I’m about 138lb working out 5 times a week with no changes (I can blame my thyroid on this too) and it honestly isn’t where I want to be on my 5’2-5’3 frame in my opinion. I feel back pain, muscle pain, and aches. I’m just experimenting really to see if I am one of those people that gain weight from birth control.
4. I’m married! We necessarily don’t want a baby anytime soon but hey, if it happens it wouldn’t be the worst thing lol! (But we will be taking other steps to prevent pregnancy so if your my mom and your reading this, NO GRANDCHILDREN FOR YOU, yet)
5. Birth control is a HORMONE. We are putting adding hormones into our bodies as women and then wondering why we have hormone imbalances that make us upset, angry, agitated, sad, etc.
6. I don’t think a lot of women know this. But multiple doctors believe that you decrease your overall chances of getting pregnant even when you get off birth control. I know many women that have struggled and their dr told them it was possibly due to long term use of oral contraceptives. Don’t quote me on this as I didn’t personally research this but multiple friends have told me this about their own experience.
7. Blood clotting! This is extremely scary. I had a patient one time that had gotten a blood clot due to smoking + oral contraceptives. I told y’all I tested positive for lupus antibodies well I also tested positive for the lupus anticoagulant test. Meaning my blood has an increased risk of blood clots (mine wasn’t extremely high but I’d rather not double my chances of getting one lol)
8. ACNE- you’ve always heard you will get rid of acne when you get on birth control! This is NOT a true statement. The answer is it depends. It depends on how your body reacts to the hormones.
9.Headaches! One of my main side effects of birth control! Again, a hormone imbalance can cause this!
10. To help feel like myself again! The #1 reason I decided to was to help me feel like me again!
Thank you guys for your support on this topic! I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about it!